The mission of Gene Slay’s Girls & Boys Club (GSGBC) is to empower girls and boys in the St. Louis metropolitan area, especially those who need us most, to realize their physical, intellectual, and emotional potential.
In 2018, GSGBC adopted Sanctuary, a trauma-informed organizational change model, which encourages the core values of non-violence, emotional intelligence, social learning, democracy, open communication, social responsibility, and growth and change. All staff are trained in Sanctuary and all youth participate in trauma-informed curriculum focused on safety, learning about emotions, managing loss, and creating a hopeful future.
GSGBC offers after school and summer programming for youth ages 6-16, serving more than 900 youth annually. GSGBC supports youth development and holistic health with programs that include academic support and assistance, aquatics and recreation, character and citizenship, healthy lifestyle, the arts, college and career.
Responsible for performing and scheduling routine and extensive preventative maintenance, cleaning and repairs to agency building and property. Ensures the facility operates in a safe manner.
• Follows established maintenance and custodial checklist
• Perform repairs to building/property as needed
• Ensures building/property are maintained so Club can operate in a safe manner and meet State and OSHA regulations
• Works with Program Manager to schedule Jr. Staff for needed custodial support
• Supervise Jr. Staff when performing custodial duties, as appropriate
• Schedule with vendors to gain access to building for contracted repair work
• Perform appropriate routine and scheduled maintenance of building
• Respond to emergency calls when directed by Director(s)
• Prioritize work to complete assignments in a timely manner
• Perform routine inspections of property to check for maintenance/safety concerns
• Complete daily work request as assigned
• Keep track of receipts for items purchased for each job – obtaining separate receipts per job when possible.
• Daily/weekly tasks include maintaining logbook of daily accomplishments, completion of forms for work done on work orders, and preventive maintenance/routine maintenance
• All emergencies or out-of-the ordinary incidents and/or activity must be reported to supervisor immediately
• Ensures that all Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are current, posted and all staff are aware
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong verbal and written communication skills necessary
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team member
• Ability to demonstrate initiative taking
• Ability to make independent judgments and decisions
• Ability to work after hour’s emergency shifts
• Ability to handle difficult situations in a courteous and professional manner
• Ability and knowledge to safely work with industrial cleaners, pesticides, disinfectants, and swimming pool chemicals
• Ability to assess daily workloads and materials necessary to complete the daily tasks
• High school diploma or certificate of high school completion
• Willing to complete company sponsored 30-hour OSHA certification
• Certificate from a trade/vocational school in construction or maintenance preferred, but not required
• One year experience working in related field with a certificate from Trade/Vocational School or any equivalent combination of training and experience
• Valid Driver’s License required and good driving record are preferred
• Ability to work in a youth development environment
• Ability to work flexible hours
• Ability to problem solve and process through critical thinking
• Must pass the health and employment requirements set by Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education as a condition of employment
Gene Slay’s Girls & Boys Club of St. Louis provides equal employment opportunities to all regardless of race, color, sex, national origin, military service eligibility, veteran status, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation or any other category protected by law.